In gratitude for the wonderful gift of warm water and for all that the Earth gives us, Glen Ivy strives to be as environmentally conscious as possible. To spearhead our green efforts is a volunteer group of employees that are passionate about preserving the Earth known as Sustaining Earth’s Environment Daily, or as we affectionately refer to them: S.E.E.D.
As an outdoor spa facility we rely on the environment daily and with the current drought conditions it is more important than ever to use our resources wisely. Here at Glen Ivy we are fortunate to have a committee enthusiastically devoted to these very things.
This Spring the SEED team will been busy managing recycling across the property, planning workshops for employees and volunteering for clean ups and hikes. They’ve also provided easy-to-follow recipes for Homemade Natural Weed Killer and Homemade Bug Spray using essential oils and items found around your home.
To date, S.E.E.D. has made some great changes and accomplishments at Glen Ivy Hot Springs Spa. Here are a few:
- Implemented a spa-wide recycling program for guests and employees
- Built 8 birdhouses around the spa to provide homes for Western Bluebirds
- Eradicated Tamarisk Trees, which endanger the native plants and trees in Coldwater Canyon. This allows native trees and plants to thrive, thereby keeping the animals and insects that live here safe, happy and healthy too.
- Removed the use of all Styrofoam products throughout the spa
- Created incentive programs for ridesharing and carpooling
- Replaced 8 urinals with waterless urinals
- Installed drinking fountains to reduce plastic cup usage around the spa
- Using all drain water to water the landscaping and then drain into natural aquifer
- Consolidated vendors to reduce carbon emissions from delivery trucks
Another “seed” worth noting is that Glen Ivy is a Founding Seed Spa in the Green Spa Network (www.greenspanetwork.org) committed to promoting sustainable best practices in the spa industry.
Being green is a way of life at Glen Ivy. We believe that the preservation of our Earth today will bring healthy benefits for all generations tomorrow. As we are “Nature’s Day Spa”, Glen Ivy is naturally a large consumer of environmental resources, where being earth-friendly is a top priority to us.
Our Green efforts include:
- Using biodegradable cleaning products
- Separating recyclables
- The elimination of Styrofoam cups
- Reducing the usage of plastic cups and encouraging our guests to reuse their cups
- Using grey water where possible to irrigate our landscaping
- Investigating the feasibility of solar electrical generation
- Switching from conventional incandescent light bulbs to CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) bulbs
- Using only natural ingredients in our skin and body products
Glen Ivy is a founding member of the Green Spa Network, an organization dedicated to finding ways to bring sustainable operating practices to the spa industry. You are invited to join us in our efforts – please visit the Green Spa Network’s website at www.greenspanetwork.org for more information on being green.